Got crap? We all do–many of us are loaded with it in the basement, garage, or attic.
Here’s a few tips to get cleaned out in no time–and keep trash out of the landfill.
- Approach the basement or garage armed with a microfiber dust cloth, reusable gloves, and a simple cleaning spray made with 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1/2 tsp liquid soap, such as castille soap.
- Get rid of boxes and unwanted items on Freecycle.com! Take pictures of your stuff–it will be picked up quickly!
- If you have lots of old clothes, try consignment shops. You can make money, or build up a nice credit for your own purchases. See the GoGreenWebDirectory.com for consignment shops in your area. You can also have a swap party! Invite your friends over for wine and cheese and set up tables by size. It’s really fun, everyone goes home with gently worn “new” clothes, and the rest can go to charity. Also, be sure to save old coats for winter clothing drives.
- Need to get rid of other unwanted items? Try holding a yard sale, or use Craigslist.com, and Freecycle.com. Is it truly trash? Before tossing it in the landfill, try Earth911.com for special recycling collections—such as scrap metal.
- Electronics recycling is an important way to keep hazardous chemicals out of landfills. The Southshore Celebration on Oct. 8th at the Marshfield Fairgrounds will have ewaste collection. Many items are free! Go to SouthShoreCelebration.com and click on “events” for details and a price list for larger items like computer monitors.